George is a 28-year-old male, currently pursuing a degree in psychology. He wants to be a counselor for people with adjustment difficulties. However, George’s supervisors are suggesting he consider changing his career because he seems to lack the particular skills he needs to be a competent and effective counselor. His supervisors have identified the following tendencies in George:
- He has a tendency to be judgmental and narrow-minded about people different from him.
- He is very guarded and defensive with people and typically thinks that other people are trying to put him down.
- He often forces his opinions on people.
Please answer each of the following questions thoroughly in a paper that is a minimum of 800 words in length.
- How will George’s usual ways of dealing with people affect his attempt to be an effective counselor? Analyze each of the characteristics mentioned above (judgmental, narrow-minded, guarded/defensive, and opinionated).
- Identify and discuss at least five of the most important skills that a counselor should have to be effective in their field? Explain what each skill entails and why each skill is important to the therapeutic process.
- What ethical standards might George be in danger of violating if he does not change his way of interacting with clients? Be sure to include at least a couple of references to the ethical codes in your response.
Suggest at least three practical steps that George can take to develop the characteristics and skills he needs to be an effective therapist?